A "Fisherman's paradise", Verdun is located at the confluence of the Saône, Doubs and Dheune. The streets of the historic centre, on an island that has retained some of its fortifications, will charm you. Also visit the House of Wheat and Bread, a branch of the Ecomuseum of Burgundian Bresse. But make sure you don't forget to try the local speciality, pôchous. Things to see around Verdun include
- The sailing harbor
- The city walls (watchtower, Echevins, Marguerite de Busseuil)
- The Church Saint Jean from the XVII century
- Verdun is the point of departure of a number of walks or rides along the river, on the Voie Bleue
- The Museum of “Wheat and Bread”
- The Castle Island which has become a small paradise for rambles and kikes.
- The shaded camping site (100 sites)
The Carrefour River Township Verdun has been inhabited since prehistoric times (Bragny sites Chauvort, Allerey, Gergy, Verjux Charnay ....).
In 843, by the Treaty of Verdun, les trois petits fils de Charlemagne share the Carolingian Empire. The city then became a frontier town and is the scene of numerous deadly and destructive struggles: wars between states, between the Duchy of Burgundy and the Kingdom of France, between Catholics and Protestants, between the Leaguers and the Partisans of the King of France. After the annexation of Franche-Comté, in 1678, Burgundy is no longer Verdun border province ceases to be martyred and finally the calm we know today.
The first church existed from the 6 th century and another was founded by the monks of Cluny in the 12th century. Although battered over the centuries, it was rebuilt in 1609 and consecrated in 1612 by Cyrus Thiard Bishop of Chalon-sur-Saône. Cross the Pont St John to join the Old Verdun, and admire the old houses with a rich past.
Located in the historic Verdun and a beautiful 18th century house The museum of Wheat and Bread presents the fabulous history of 70 centuries and harvest of 40 centuries of bread.
In the nineteenth century, the Castle Island consisted of a garden around a villa and an agricultural park. The garden consisted of an orchard, a French garden and an English-Chinese garden.