Located in the Saone valley at the confluence of two tributaries of the navigable river, the small town of Seurre is a river crossing to the south of the department of Cote-d'Or.
The heritage of Seurre is visible in the presence of stones, bricks and wood and beautiful vintage buildings.
The water and countryside offer many attractions and leisure stays in this country: an Olympic pool, a marina, hiking trails, docks and locks, a fishing party??
The origins of Seurre seem to stretch to Celtic times, with excavations uncovering artifacts from Celtic, Gallo-Roman and Merovingian times. The presence of a ford on the river and the surrounding fertile land encouranged farmers, fishermen and artisans to colonise the area.
In the middle ages Seurre was one of the first towns to receive a letter of Burgundy in 1245 and a postal charter in 1278, allowing the area an enviable degree of autonomy. It was during this period that the fortifications were built and the town motto and coat of arms were created. This attracted new inhabitants and the town grew larger.
The city was a stronghold until the middle of the 17th century and it's location on the Saône resulted in the town being burned and looted several times during wars and civil or religious strife.
1n 1651 Louis XIV gave orders to raze the fortifications aroune Seurre, signifying that it was no longer a military town and became a town of crafts and trading. The artillery sub-lieutenant Napolean Bonaparte was stationed in Seurre for two months in 1789.
Many young men of Seurre left to fight in the Prussian and Austrian invasions of 1815 and 1871, and 82 perished on the battlefields of the first world war.
After the armistice of 1941 Seurre was in the German occupied area, but only a few kilometres from the free zone and the forbidden zone. There were customs at the train stations and road crossing and the resitance was strong in the area around Seurre. Bombed by the Germans (some say the Italians) in 1940 and the allies in 1944, the city was liberated by French soldiers in September 1944.
The Maison des ancêtres de Bossuet in Seurre retraces the history of the Val de Saône. The 1st floor is dedicated to geology and the region’s early occupation by man, right up to the time of the Pouilly ceramics factory. The 2nd floor retraces the history of ship building and carpentry while the top floor focuses on prosthetics, a thriving industry in the early 20th century.
The church pf Saint Martin is of Gothic style, was built in the late thirteenth century or early fourteenth and rebuilt several times. It occupies the site of an earlier Romanesque church. Side chapels were added in the fifteenth century and the first half of the sixteenth century. The first chapel on the right date of 1411. The third chapel on the left date of 1501 and has the marks of Bossuet and Berbis families. The church choir was rebuilt and extended by a monumental apse in 1655.