The village of Dampierre dominates the valley Doubs. It is situated on communication routes linking Dole to Besançon and the wider Rhine and North Europe Rhône and the Mediterranean. Dampierre is crossed by the main roads of the region: road (RN73, A36, 2.1 output), rail (Dijon Besançon), river (Doubs and the Rhone-Rhine canal). The town owes its development to its geographical position, but also to the presence of small industries related to metallurgy of the town past.
It consists of the actual town of Dampierre, and two hamlets attached to it, Chateauneuf, the Doubs River upstream, and The Minerals, located on the site of the former opencast iron mines.
Although capital of Canton, Dampierre is essentially a residential area and most public services and shops are instead located Fraisans (gendarmerie, college), Orchamps (fire), and especially to Saint-Vit, in the neighboring department .
The most likely origin of Dampierre is the alteration of "Dominus Petrus" (Dom Pierre Saint Pierre). Named in an earlier Christian tradition in the sixth century, the village probably originated in that period. From the seventh century, at least, a place of worship dedicated to the leader of the Apostles was established on the site of the Church of Dampierre. It gave its name to the village formed around him and it became the center of a vast parish grouping almost all villages that form the current canton.
In the limestone cliff overlooking the right bank of the Doubs, between Dampierre and Ranchot, a cave bears witness to a human presence which could date back to fifteen thousand years before Christ.
The Romans left their mark in an important road to Lyon and the Rhine. They created a dorder
around the territory of Dampierre and the place called "Red House" was one of several guard posts located along this road. Placed on the axis of many important routes Dampierre suffered at all epochs, invasions and wars between France and Germany.
In 1636, while the French were besieging Dole Dampierre the nearby villages were completely destroyed. During the Ten Years' War (1635 to 1645), the village which housed between 100 and 200 inhabitants, was completely ruined. People were massacred or fled, houses and fields were abandoned. The village was rebuilt by 1650. An official census counted 24 inhabitants in 1657, another in 1688 into account 113. The 18th century saw a remarkable increase, since the population reached 538 PEOPLE IN 1790.
From that date, censuses are regularly except during wars. The extraordinary development of forges FRAISANS, where 3/4 of the people of Dampierre are employed, brought rapid population growth between 1850 and 1900 followed by an equally rapid and continuous decline until the second world war, the highest population in 1876 ??(1014 inhabitants) and the lowest in 1946 (452 inhabitants).
The population has risen over the past 30 years and coninues to rise according to the last census.
The castle is an expression of will of architectural renewal, which has "modernized" the former manor house of the XVI / XVI in a neo-classical design. The castle retains elements of the seventeenth century.
The church of the XI century is mentioned in 1089 by the bull of Pope Urban II confirming dependencies Baumes-les-Moines. Dedicated to Saint-Léger, it is then attached to Baumois Priory Moutherot. Les Etrabonne then united with him in the priory Mont-Roland, who remained the owner until the revolution. The church consists of a nave, an octagonal sanctuary, a bell tower (1683) next to the nave and two chapels. The lower part of the building once extended to the current presbytery and appears to date from the XIIth century.
The church and the priory is a historical monument since 1875, the Church of Courtefontaine itself as "the most complete Romanesque churches of Franche-Comte." From the western façade, you can appreciate the organization of the whole monument with the four cords separating the floors, pilasters rising to the top, the staging of crawling decorated with different corbels. The arched portal is flanked by four columns and surmounted by a archivolt.