St Jean de Losne was the first river marina in France with mooring for 665 boats. Surrounded on three sides by water and at a major river crossroads, and was a popular stopover with working boatment.
Tourism is now the mainstay of the river at St. Jean de Losne, with shaded bustling keys and a beautiful lake where sailing and canoeing are very popular.
Head of a district of 16,000 inhabitants, Saint-Jean-de-Losne has the status of historical city (it received the Legion of Honor), which enjoys a quality living environment while maintaining commercial life and artisanal activities in the Community.
Due to it's location on the Saône St. Jean de Losne was the site of a Celtic settlement and then Gallo-Roman. The Abbey of Notre-Dame-de-Losne was founed in the 7th century, and a wooden bridge was built over the Saône in the 12th century. In July 1227 the Regent of Burgundy granted a charter to the inhabitants of the castle of St. John, which was the birth of St.Jean de Losne.
In 1522 a peace treaty between the two Bourgogne factions was signed in St. John de Losne, ensuring the annexation of Frenche-Comté to the empire. The city was under siege byt the French led by Gallas from October 25th 1636 and despite bombings and the breach of the ramparts the residents were victorious. The victory was short lived however as the French under Colonel Rantzau took the flooded city on November 2nd. In recognition of the defence Louis XIII granted the inhabitants a large tax exemption that remained in place until the French revolution.
St. Jean de Losnre remained a center of commerce throughout the 17th century, and shot to prosperity as a river port in the 19th century. the Gare d'Eau, where there are cruiser company bases, was built in 1840-1848.
There are perch, pike carp and black bass in the Saône and surrounding canals, and catfish fishing for those looking for bigger game. The local fishing assocations often arrange competitions, check with the tourism office. on 0033 (0)3 80 21 09 11.
The church of St. John the Baptist is a brick church built in gothic style in the 16th century. The roof is covered with glazed tyles and the tower is flanked by two slated turrets. The Renaissance influence is visible on the large gate and in the aisles whose vaults are supported by Corinthian columns. Inside there are areas of the church built and updated in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, including the orgin from 1768, one of the few French 18th century instruments kept close to it's original state.
The city hall was built in the early 17th century but fell into disrepair in the early 18th century. The mansion was bought by Nicolas Hernoux in 1870, and left it to his two sons on his death. One of his sons then established this as the city hall. There are many items of artistic and historical value on display.
The Monument of Deliberation was erected in 1891 to commererate the sieged of St. John de Losne in 1636. Construction costs (15,000 francs at the time) were covered by many donors who participated in the subscription for more than half of the total cost. The City and the Department each donated 1,000 francs and the State 5000 francs. In front of the monument are two guns "Ambush" and "disaster" given to the city in 1901.
The house of mariners is one of the oldest houses in St. Jean de Losne and is now home to a permanent exhibition on the livers of sailors and skippers of old. It opens Tuesday to Sunday from April 20th to November 1st, 14:30 to 18:00. It's possible to visit the exhibition out of season by appointment.