Mantoche is a small, picturesque village on the Saone. The port consists of a wall with a nice green area for picnics or just for a walk. There's one cafe and a shop near the river. The church has a plaque with a list of past villagers lost in both world wars.
The site of Mantoche dates back to the Neolithic and continues through the bronze and iron ages. The two fords at Mantoche made it an important centre of trade and commerce. The first houses on the site can be dated to the 1st century AD. The extensive remains of the site Mantoche have confirmed the existence of several villas of Gallo-Roman and Roman times.
The agglomeration of Mantoche seems to have been destroyed during the Hungarian invasion of 947. In the gift of the church to the Abbey of Beza in 1119, Bishop Joceran said that only she survived and the place was deserted. "Quatenus deserta cujusdam solitudinis in territorio Attoarensium juxta flumen Arasis posita. "
It is believed that Mantoche belonged to the lords of Beaumont, lords Autrey, before becoming the property of Vergy.
Writings from around 1620 mention two strongholds: Cleradius Vergy acquired the first in 1622. The second was small and persisted until the eighteenth century. In recognition of 1620 we read that "the village and the manor of Mantoche is free of all conditions Mainmorte as it appears by the Parliament of Dole judgment by which all the inhabitants were recognized francs." They also have the right to assemble whenever the public good may require.
The village was occupied in 1569 by the soldiers of William of Nassau and Wolfgang, Duke of Deux-Ponts.
A battle was fought at Mantoche 26 and October 27, 1870 by a corps of snipers and infantry, walking on the Prussians in Dijon. The people erected a modest monument on the grave of Captain Blondel, the sniper commander killed during this engagement.
The Chateau at Mantoche dates back to the 17th century and was extended in 1720-1730 by Jean Mantoche. The north wing was built in the late eighteenth or early ninteenth century. The property is bounded by a stone wall overlooking the Saone.
The church in Mantoche dates back to the twelfth century and was first repaired and rebuilt from 1716 to 1730 except the chapel of St. Nicolas, built by Hugh de Vergy and choir plus a bay in the fifteenth century.
The four chapel bells, named Juliette, Angélique, Marie-Anne and Melanie, were donated during the 19th century.