Ray-sur-Saône is a small village located in Franche-Comté, as the name suggests in the valley of the Saône halfway between Vesoul Gray. A majestic castle overlooks the green valley and the houses huddled around the church.
The village stretches along the Saône valley at the foot of the hill on which the castle stands proudly. It and the church of the thirteenth century, the lavoir (communal laundry & washing places), the various shrines are many goals to walk and visit. Two restaurants, a cafe, a butcher, a post office are available to the tourist.
In the past, the ford at Ray was an important crossing point on the Saone. A Bronze Age shelter there was also found here, as well as the Roman oppidum. It is on this that the medieval fortress was built.
In the thirteenth century, the knight Othon de la Roche, owner of the town, made ??it famous by participating in the Fourth Crusade, especially in conquering Thebes and Athens and became the Duke. He built a fortress near the Pantheon, which still exists today.
The wars that followed that time were disastrous for Ray-sur-Saône: devastated in 1439 by Ecorcheurs, the town was again destroyed in 1569 by the Protestant Duke of Deux-Ponts.
The CHÂTEAU DE RAY-SUR-SAÔNE was restored when the the Duke returned from Athens. It then consisted of 14 towers and held five hectares. In the center, facing the Saône, an imposing tower was built on a very deep well which still exists today. In the fourteenth century, the village itself must have been fortified. Almost completely destroyed during the Thirty Years War, the castle was rebuilt in its present form in the seventeenth century. The castle is open to the public from April to November.
The Gothic church of St. Pancras is of rather eclectic architecture, due to numerous reconstructions. The oldest parts date back to the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries although they have been partly rebuilt in the sixteenth century. The bell dates bulbous roof around the eighteenth century, while the furniture is the seventeenth. The church also houses an entombment polychrome stone statues of the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, and a beautiful painting of the eighteenth century.