Fontenoy-le-Château is a small town in north-eastern France, located in the department of Vosges and the region Lorraine . It is part of the Community of communes "Val de Vôge." The people and inhabitants of the town of Fontenoy-le-Château are called Fontecastriens and Fontecastriennes. The 671 inhabitants of the village of Fontenoy-le-Château live on a total area of ??35 km2 with a population density of 19 inhabitants per km2 and an average altitude of 270 m.
Le Boat have a marina here.
In the late 10th century, around 980, the Bishops of Toul, who owned this allodial title, built a large square tower to protect their territory and to close the Valley of Côney River. It was one of the first fortresses in the south of the Vosges, along with Épinal and Remiremont. This square tower was a building of exceptional quality for this period, which was showing the power of its owners and was controlling the pathway between Burgundy and Lorraine. This tower is quite unconventional for the 10th century: roughly 45 feet by 52 (13.5m × 16m) on the ground, walls more than 10 feet thick, and especially, stones of unusual dimensions.
Located on a sandstone rocky outcrop, at the confluence of the Côney River and the Châtelain stream, the castle was protected by the natural steepness on the majority of its sides. A system of dams, now disappeared, allowed the stream valley to be flooded in the event of danger.
The principal entry was defended by a dry ditch, the trace of which is still visible, a huge area of thorn bush also complicating the approach.
The lower terraces, not vulnerable, sheltered the dependences, storerooms and barns.
The water supply was ensured by the collection from the numerous sources on the site, hence the place name: Fonteniacum Castellum.
The Castle of Fontenay is built on the vestiges of a Gallo-roman villa of square plan. The surrounding wall and the internal garden have been preserved intact and the castle evokes a middle age atmosphere. It held a defensive role from the beginning of the 10th century until its partial destruction in 1635, during the Thirty Years' War.
The church of Saint-Mansuy Fontenoy-le-Château is a Catholic Gothic style building (xv and xvi century). It is the subject of a classification as historical monuments since 28 July 1922. The present church was built on the site of the original church and was under the patronage of Mansuetus and thus marked the membership of Fontenoy-le-Château ecclesiastical County Toul. The Benedictine priory high abbey of St. Mansuy-lès-Toul was built at the same time as the church. The vaulted hall remains supported by two Romanesque columns and a Priolè or Priolet door.